karate classes for kinders
Karate kids classes for our 5 and 6 year olds are filled with the most enthusiastic students. They love creativity and problem solving, which makes them ideal students in the Martial Arts. The dilemma our instructors discovered is they are so progressive in following tasks that teachers tend to treat them like their older peers. This is a problem because they still do not have the basic skills necessary to keep up with children ages 7 and up. Our solution is to provide them their own martial arts kids class, one that adapts to their social and intellectual curiosity while at the same time building skills that set them up for success.
4 important stages of development and our program goals
1. Physically, they have a basic foundation for leg, arm, core, and abdominal development, but they may lack strength and stamina.
- We expect our karate kids class to initially struggle with multiple kicks beyond five reps. We also expect they may initially have sloppy technique when exercising.
- The goal for our program is to get them to perform high repetitions of kicks without putting their foot down, and to also be able to perform static, active, and dynamic exercises for beyond ten reps.
2. Intellectually, they often have a hard time retaining beyond three commands. They also sometimes have a hard time distinguishing between their left and right.
- We expect them to initially get confused if you ask them to do more than three things at one time. We also initially expect them to have a hard time distinguishing between their left and right when following multiple commands.
- The goal for our martial arts kids class is to get them to retain three or more commands at once and beyond. We will also help them learn how to perform various left and right combinations.
3. Emotionally, they typically focus on things that make them happy or unhappy. They also have slow brakes when they are excited.
- We expect them to initially lose focus and shut down if they are not happy. We also expect them to hold back if they are not “into it” or get too rough when they are over-excited.
- The goal for our karate kids classes is to help them focus even when it’s hard to do so. We will also help them learn to control their body and their power, especially when they are excited.
4. Socially, they love to play with others, but can be over-competitive.
- We expect them to initially show weak sportsmanship when they participate in a competition.
- The goals for our martial arts kids program are to help them demonstrate good sportsmanship such as not cheating, not getting angry when they lose, and not bragging when they win.
monday 4:30p (in Studio)
tuesday 4:30p (Zoom)
wednesday 4:30p (in Studio)
thursday 4:30p (Zoom)